Basically here we discuss how to introduce in Pharo stateful class
extension and stateful traits. I like these features a lot because it means
I would be able to reuse the same class differently depending on the
context and the surrounding classes. But if we overuse that we will
definitely go into chaos. Martin tried in Mist and he concluded that he
should have class composition instead of stateful traits / class extension.

For now the common way to add extra instance variable is: you add an extra
instance variable named 'properties' in the main class which needs to be
committed on the other package, then in the class extension you initialize
this varable lazily to a dictionary, and to use extra instance variable,
you store/read them in the properties dictionary by overriding the
getter/setter method. You can look at the refactoring browser AST which is
implemented like that. This way is nice because it is easily optimizable by
slots (even if we have not done it yet) and you only add 1 instance
variable to the main class whereas you can add an infinite number of
instance variables.

Best,