On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 10:35 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3 December 2013 15:21, Usman Bhatti <usman.bha...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> 'fully featured, end-user compatible
>>> and fool-proof demo'. it just a demo to show animation and discard it,
>>> but if you insist this is a bug,
>>> feel free to fix it.
>>>

>> Unfortunately, I wont have time for this. For me it would have been good,
>> had Athens provided an example of session management as a good client so
>> that example-oriented people like me could understand easily. Because,
>> otherwise, I'll have to look at the code of NativeBoost and that adds to
>> the level of complexity because I would do things with trial and error.
>>

> No need. There is one example: look at AthensSceneView

>> Because then, files can also open/close and delete themselves
>>> automatically, so you will be left only to do reading and writing...
>>> Resource management is an application-level responsibility, not
>>> framework level.
>>> I cannot predict in Athens, how often one wants to create/destroy or
>>> (re)use surfaces, and therefore i cannot
>>> create and dispose them when i see fit within framework.
>>> Correct me if i wrong.
>>>

>> I think this doesn't compare to file handling because there are many
>> types of operations possible on files and that are application-specific.
>> Here resource management is actually exception-handling: I should not give
>> to my client a surface that does not exist any more. Now, of course, if
>> there is some application-level intelligence is involved, we cannot put
>> that in the framework.
>>
>> Surface is like file, you create it, delete it.. write to it..
> the management of surfaces is absolutely out of scope of framework.
> More than that, surfaces is not something which you operate with usually.
> Because usually its just a canvas.

Still, I will maintain that a minimalistic session logic should be built by
default in Athens. Because otherwise each application has to maintain a
session instance variable and a logic to test that session hasn't changed
in between to keep a surface alive, which is lowest common denominator for
all the applications using Athens.

regards,

Usman