Esteban, Sebastian,

In the filetree code, you will find a format without metadata, but it's not in use anymore.

If you use gitfiletree, it will write the metadata for compatibility reasons with filetree, but it will never read it back.

I'm pushing code to make filetree robust to absence of metadata, but I haven't worked on it for a while.

gitfiletree has solved the problem of a slow metadata read. It does not solve any performance problem associated with writing, yet.

Thierry