On 1/15/14, Marcus Denker <marcus.den...@inria.fr> wrote:

> On 15 Jan 2014, at 09:04, Marcus Denker <marcus.den...@inria.fr> wrote:
>>>

>> Etoys should have contributed to Squeak when they had the resources.
>> To secure their own future.
>>
>> “We are not payed to work on Squeak”, that is what I got told…

Probably correct at that time...

>> in a tone
>> as if my questions was the dumbest question one could have asked.
>>

> In hindsight, I think that the more aggressive reaction I got, the more it
> was a sign of me actually being right, but I did not understand that back
> than…

Difference in philosophy and priorities. Many people assume you can
build something new and well defined on an existing ground in spite of
a lot of idiosyncrasies and inconsistencies. Just by wrapping and
creating a DSL. But in Smalltalk the idiosyncrasies remain visible
whereas in most cases you might hide them behind an API.

> I just slowly and quietly despaired until I could not even sleep anymore at
> night.

And the history so far tells us that it is _a lot_ of clean up effort .....

Noteworthy however: Scratch is successful in spite of being built on a
early version of Squeak.
The situation of Etoys to the contrary is not so clear. A comparison
needs to consider more factors than just the platform it is built
on....

--Hannes