Title:
Quartz backend for Athens framework

Level: (beginner, intermediate, advanced)
Intermediate

Possible mentor: (can be assigned later)
Esteban Lorenzano

Possible second mentor: (can be assigned later)

Description
Athens is a vectorial graphics library that supports different backends but now
is restrained to Cairo. Also, current implementation uses NativeBoost, who at
the time generates and executes dynamic code. This combination mades impossible
to use the framework for iPad/iPhone applications and we have need to support
them.
The project then is to create a new backend for the Athens library that can be
used both in macs and ipad/iphone platforms.

Technical Details
The student need to study the current Athens-Balloon and  Athens-Cairoo
implementation, and the Ballon plugin, to produce a Quartz plugin and to create
the Athens extension to use it.

Benefits to the Student
The student will understand the plugin architecture and how it interacts with
the environment, also he will have internals on native boost and vectorial
libraries.

Benefits to the Community
The community will gain the ability of develop better applications for
ipad/iphone mobile platforms.

thanks,
Esteban