Tudor Girba wrote:
Excellent, Stef!

I reviewed a bit the code:
- The name log denotes the recording of multiple events. However, the Log class models only one event, not many. Thus, a more suitable name would be LogEvent. Or maybe LogEntry (like in StarTrek :))
Except Log as only accessed as a class, not as instances.  In days of old, sailing ships had a single Log book kept in the captain's room.  Also Transcript is not called TranscriptEvent. So for me the semantics of Log are fine.
cheers -ben

- Similarly, SystemLogger>>logs should be something like logEvents/logEvents.

I like it a log that LogEvents are full objects because we can subclass them with specific semantics. This is particularly important if we want to build tools for custom applications. The first application I have in mind is Zinc.

Zinc already comes with a logging mechanism that treats LogEvents as objects, but they are all of the same type, so in the end, if you want to track the events for request/response you have to reverse engineer the text. These semantics could be preserved.

From what I see, the main difference between the Zinc log system and the SystemLogger is that the latter has a dispatcher that can dispatch to multiple loggers. Is there anything else that is different? I think it would be cool to merge the two.

Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"