On 06.03.2014, at 15:53, Stephan Eggermont <step...@stack.nl> wrote:

> Max wrote:
>> I don’t quite follow. What do you mean by methods?
>
> When mapping methods to files, there is the problem that on disk files take a
> minimum amount of space,
> often 4KB. This slows writing a package to disk down a lot.

I see. There are two things to consider:
1. the format we use to store source
2. the fact that Git will create one blob per file

Obviously, by choosing a source storage format that avoids this problem, we
don’t have to deal with the second issue.
If you go with something like FileTree, which uses a single file per method,
this changes. By combining multiple files (e.g. by zipping) we could avoid the
problem of tiny blobs but we would loose the ability to look at the repository
from the outside. This is something I don’t want to do. It creates a dependency
to Pharo (and to the particular implementation of how those files are stored)
and unneeded complexity (especially with regard to maintenance).

In my opinion there are other factors, like readability, maintenance etc, that
are maybe more important than speed.

So yes, potentially we could do something about fragmentation but I won’t
promise you anything. Does that answer your question?

Cheers,
Max