1.

   Since then, Smalltalk (SqueakNOS <http://squeaknos.blogspot.com/>),
   Forth (colorForth <http://www.colorforth.com/cf.htm>), and Lisp
(Genera<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera_(operating_system)>)
   have all flirted with becoming operating systems, and
Oberon<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberon_(programming_language)>
    was
designed<http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/ProjectOberon/PO.System.pdf>
    to be one <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberon_(operating_system)> from
   the start. But none achieved economic success, for the simple reason that
   none of the projects involved attempted to provide value to people. They
   solved technical problems to validate that their concepts can work in the
   real world, but did not pursue the delivery of better solutions to
   real-world problems than would otherwise be
possible.↩<http://davidad.github.io/blog/2014/03/12/the-operating-system-is-out-of-date/#fnref:1>

Pharo hopefully corrects the course..

>From :
http://davidad.github.io/blog/2014/03/12/the-operating-system-is-out-of-date/

Most of all, let’s rethink the received wisdom that you should teach your
computer to do things in a programming language and run the resulting
program on an operating system. A righteous operating system should be a
programming language. And for goodness' sake, let’s not use the entire
network stack just to talk to another process on the same machine which is
responsible for managing a database using the filesystem stack. At least
let’s use shared memory (that’s what it’s *for*!). But if we believe in the
future — if we believe in ourselves — let’s dare to ask why, anyway, does
the operating system give you this “filesystem” thing that’s no good as a
database and expect you to just accept that “stuff on computers goes in
folders, lah”? Any decent software environment ought to have a fully
featured database, built in, and no need for a “filesystem”.