The good developers / expert users will not do what you state. The eclipse
debug, inspector, watches are very much part of a normal dev cycle in our
place with around 100 devs.

Even in Smalltalk I have seen less capable developers not exploiting even a
fraction of the capability Smalltalk has and depend on loggers / prints to
transcripts and lot less use of reflection live to inquire and detect
issues faster.

The issue I explained is that the capability exists and is not exploited
due to process constraints in the industry even for Java, so Smalltalk
capability will not be seen as a killer feature per se even if its more
flexible and capable.

The reflection to dump more logger information is of course most welcome
but without adding any performance overhead at runtime except when the
error occurs.

I would further aver that all the Smalltalk capabilities are highly
leveraged in a dev environment and is capable of cutting dev time to one
third or even lesser in the hands of an expert.