I've quite often opened a REPL on Rails apps in the production environment.
You can basically execute everything on the production environment. This is
quite useful for checking what's going on (usually a mismatch between your
development/staging environment and the production one).

Beware that you do not connect to the serving process that your customer is
seeing. You just spin a new REPL process with the production settings. And
frankly it was usually more than enough to find what you need to fix.