Hello,

The work to port Pharo to 64 bits has started.

The new memory manager Spur will be ported to Pharo 4 alpha next week and
it supports 64 bits (this is fresh news, it has been decided 3 hours ago).
This was one of the main issue for the 64 bits port.

Now the status is to finish to port the memory manager and to compile the
VM for 64 bits. There is a bit a debugging to do as even if the 64bits Spur
memory manager is implemented it has never been debugged. In addition, some
plugins are 32 bits dependent and that needs to be fixed.

At this point, which should be in the late summer if Esteban and Eliot are
very productive, we should have a 64 bits stack VM.

Then there are 2 remaining points, one is to port the JIT to support x86_64
bits and the other is to add faster floating pointer in 64 bits. Adding
fast floating pointer is important as 64bits images are typically 30%
slower than 32bits ones due to Pharo computation being mainly pointers
computation, and that manipulating 64 bits is more expensive than 32 bits.

At this point, which is probably around christmas if everything goes well,
we should have a 64bits Cog VM.

Now this is the optimistic planning. It may be that we have the 64 bits
Stack VM for Christmas and the 64 bits Cog VM in a year. It depends if you
prefer the optimistic or the pessimistic planning.

Right now, people have issue with 64bits vs 32bits in Linux (I saw several
reports on the mailing list) but it seems it is not a problem in Windows
and Mac. Microsoft and Apple may be providing better support for 32 bits. I
don't know.

I don't know about the working keypad. Perhaps someone more aware could
help.