Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
> That is weird indeed, I would say they mixed up Latin1 and UTF8

Yes! Changing to Latin1TextConverter did the trick. I assumed UTF8 because
they did not specify and mention UTF8 elsewhere in gmail settings

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
> But if the file starts with the Unicode BOM, that is really confusing...
> since in UTF8 it would be different, and from your byte sequence it can't
> be UTF16 either.

It was UTF16. The byte sequence was from a different output format. Changing
to UTF16TextConverter successfully parsed the file.

I wonder... can all this be handled automatically? When I open either file
in OS X, it seems to just "do the right thing". I also wonder why gmail
doesn't clearly display the encoding when you're exporting...

-----
Cheers,
Sean