Like Thierry I'm not sure that omitting the check brings a
    significant speedup.
    However, not doing this check follows the robustness principle:
    "Be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept
    from others".

But it violates the "if it ain't broke don't fix it", "it means what it means", and "Smalltalk is a safe language" principles. That safety check finds bugs. If one wants a more relaxed contract, implement a new contract, don't break an existing contract that has stood for years.

    I would even be more liberal with a:
    1 to: (self size min: otherCollection size) do: ....
    :)

But you can write that if that's what you mean. But arbitrarily changing existing protocol for weak reasons when _it ain't broke_ is a recipe for chaos.

+ 1