Hi,

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 11:56 PM, Nicolai Hess <nicolaih...@web.de> wrote:

>> Hi Nicolai,
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 10:04 PM, Nicolai Hess <nicolaih...@web.de>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I thought the Playground cache holds all evaluated/used expressions.
>>>

> Hi Doru
>

>> It used to only remember the expressions after you pressed Go. But, then
>> we noticed that this is not enough as sometimes you just do it. So, rather
>> than duplicating the logic for all possible actions, we asked ourselves:
>> Why would I ever want to forget anything? After all, I am not deleting my
>> mails anymore, and the package-cache already accumulated some 14k mcz files.
>>
>> Hence, the playground never forgets.
>>

> Sure it does, you just have to delete all the current text, after that it
> is gone you can not get it back.
>
> Maybe my practice is different, I don't open many different playgrounds
> for every code I type in.

I am used to work with one or two workspaces and use only one of them as a
> "playground" for the code.

I see.

>>> But it just caches the current text and if you remove the current text,
>>> the cache
>>> file is deleted.
>>>

>> Indeed. You get a file per Playground. This is why the title of the
>> playground can be relevant.
>>

>>> And it does not use just one file, but one for every opened playground
>>> with text.
>>> And if you close the playground, without deleting the current text, you
>>> ' ll end
>>> up with many (many many) cache files. (and it takes some time opening the
>>> first playground after image start up).
>>>

>> Interesting. I have used this quite a lot and did not stumble across the
>> opening delay problem. How many files do you have?
>>

> 0, just deleted :)

But, does it still take long for you?

>>> Pressing the little "..." icon shows an unscrollable large list with all
>>> the cache entries.
>>> (even duplicate entries).
>>>

>> This will be replaced with a fancy search.
>>
>> How about creating just one cache file, and only add used/evaluated
>>> expressions
>>> to the cache?
>>>

>> Why? What don't you want remembered?
>>

> all the same text from different cache files.

Ok. So, you mean if I have exactly the same text, we should not cache it.
That makes sense. Would that be enough for you? If so, could you open an
issue for this?

> btw, the cache isn't truncated if you don't delete the whole text. That
> means, if you select some
> text and replace it with a shorter one, the play-cache files replaces only
> the beginning of the file.
> Therefore, some of the text isn't even valid code anymore.

Oops. This is a bug. Can you open an issue?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com