Many of the top languages got there by fortuitous happenstance. JavaScript
was esp. lucky in being embedded in every browser on the planet. Java had
corporate sponsorship. C++ had a lot of history.

Yes, grassroots helped the likes of Python and Ruby, but I contend those
days are over. Mozilla, for example, needs grassroots to help Rust, but I
don't see Rust succeeding. Today, it's not enough to have good
libraries/tools, documentation, and word of mouth.

Pharo is not alone. I see LOTS of other languages trying to do the same
thing. Most of them will remain in relative obscurity. I bet my life on it.

You need more contributors? How are you going to get them? It comes down to
the same thing. Marketing and mindshare.

PR is bullshit. But it's also a door that opens for Pharo to get its message
out. Where would iPhone be without PR bullshit?

Smalltalk needs an edge. I'm trying to give you that edge. Do you want it?

Frankly, I'm happy to move on to other things in my life.