> Is this a real concern ? Afterall vector data is a lot less complex than
> 3d geometry and CPUs nowdays are multicore.

For really smooth and complex animations, yes it is a concern. Performance.
If the objective is to draw a static shape or a slow animation, it is not a
big problem. Also CPU <-> GPU data transferring is an expensive operation
that has to be avoided if possible.

Actually 2D vector data is more complex. 3D geometry comes already
processed to be directly rendered, and it is represented by only two
arrays: vertices and indices.

In contrast, 2D vector data is represented by a stream of commands that
have to be evaluated.

BTW, we don't have support for real multithreading in Pharo, and we will
not have it for a very long time. The closest thing to real multithreading
that we are getting in the near term

> Don't know about the Opengl backend of Cairo. Igor also once shown me a
> Spec for vector graphics on OpenGL by Khronos Group.

Well, there is OpenVG designed for mobile platform(Android and iOS). OpenVG
is not supported by desktop graphic cards vendors.

The closest thing we have in the desktop world is the NV_path_rendering
NVIDIA only extension. At least the paper that describes this extension is
really good. The bad thing is that it depends at least partially in the
Loop-Blinn algorithm that is patented, if I remember right.

Newest OpenGL versions also come with dynamic tesselation geometry shaders
> that basically increase the detail of a 3d object the closer a camera gets
> to it which is similar to vector graphics which is something that could
> also work as basic via NBOpenGL to bring Athens to 3d side completely
> bypassing Cairo.

In first place, not all of the world have at least DX11/OpenGL 4.xx level
graphic card. But, it does not matter too much because the hardware
tessellation does not help you anything with the main problem.

The biggest problem is that 2D vector paths can be concave, and they can
have a hole . The easiest way to support it is by using the stencil buffer,
and in my opinion is the method with the better results. In fact, the
NV_path_rendering extension is implemented in this way, but directly in the
OpenGL driver.

This method renders first the tessellated path with a triangle fan, with
the stencil test set to invert the stencil buffer bits. In this way, the
stencil buffer holds 1 in the points that are inside of the path, and 0 in
the points that are outside of the path.

Then, the bounding box of the path is covered with fill color/gradient, but
with the stencil test set to only pass when the stencil buffer value is 1,
and to also clear the stencil buffer in the covered region during the
process to allow rendering more paths elements.

Each one of the changes to the way the stencil buffer is used involves a
state change, which is expensive. I think this is the reason of why NVIDIA
implemented their extension directly in the OpenGL.

I know of these problems because I implemented once the stencil method in
C++ with OpenGL.

The old opengl Cairo backend worked by triangulating the paths.
Triangulation of concave geometry is hard to do, and there some degenerate
case in which it produces bad results.

Best regards
Ronie