On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 3:57 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <s...@stfx.eu> wrote:

> > On 05 Jan 2015, at 15:28, horrido <horrido.hobb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > You're quite right. I guess I should focus on *one thing* right now
> before it
> > gets lost in the shuffle:  Complete and publish my Amber tutorial. I
> have a
> > lot of work ahead of me in this one.
>
> Not that I have anything against Amber, but why pick that one ?
>
> Everybody seems to think something along the lines of 'JavaScript is very
> popular, if only we get on that platform and we'll be all set' - I don't
> think that is the case. Even Amber's original developer is now working full
> time on JavaScript, yet does no longer seem to use it.

Hey, Amber is alive! 0.14 just out. Herby does a good job, examples are
refined, we are injecting effort in it.

It takes a while to get things to 1.0. We can't afford to pass on SPAs and
it is not with Seaside that we'll do it.

> Also, on technical grounds it could be argued that Amber misses a number
> of critical Smalltalk features (thisContext, #become:). Furthermore, it is
> slower and has a only a limited IDE.

thisContext and become: aren't in but even like that, the prototyping power
of Amber is strong even if tooling can be improved (first the core, then
the bells and whistles).

Javascript also has features that Smalltalk doesn't have. So, it is a give
or take game.
If anything, Amber helps one into understanding the current Javascript ways
in a quite good manner. It does for me.