Hi Stef,

Thanks a lot for the detailed report. Comments inline.

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 9:11 PM, stepharo <steph...@free.fr> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I found the blue rectangle morph painful because it blocks me when I want
> to freely edit expression and result.
> Would it be possible that when I type enter the blue rectangle text is
> paste in the pane below its expression.

We are debating this feature since quite a while and we indeed need to
settle on a solution. Esteban also wanted Enter, and I was more inclined
towards Cmd+v.

I opened an issue:
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/14711/The-Playground-print-popper-should-allow-for-inserting-the-text-in-the-editor

Right now I have to copy and paste explictly and it not working. I hate so
> much this broken interaction....

Indeed. The main use case considered for the popper (that is the name of
the widget) is to not get the original editor dirty. The current way to do
things is like this:
- Cmd+c
- Esc
- Right Arrow
- Cmd+v

Clearly not ideal.

Example

> (20@200) printString get blue rectangle
> press copy parentheses got hilighlited no idea why

There are two things here, and this is confusing right now in the Pharo
theme: The background of the popper has the same background as the text
selection:
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/14712/The-print-popper-should-have-a-different-color-than-the-selection-in-the-default-Pharo-theme

The reason you see the parantheses selected is due to the smart parantheses
mechanism that I did not know how to suppress only for one text widget :(.

> then I press enter to go to the next line (my selection vanished of course
> because the magic things selected everything automatically)

The selection is the same as in the previous interface. For example, in a
basic Workspace, press Cmd+i without selecting anything and the whole like
will be selected. We cannot just erase the selection when we exit the
popper because sometimes you actually have an explicit selection that you
should not lose. But, coming to think about it, we should probably use the
highlighting mechanism for the text instead of the selection one. I will
look into this.

> and I can paste the result and start to edit it.

I sincerly hope that GT guys will understand and modify it because right
> now this is a show stopper to me.
> It breaks so badly interaction with texts.

We will fix this, but in the meantime, could you tell me the use case for
which you need to paste the text in the same editor? I am asking because I
would like to learn as I never need to do it. This is why the interface
does not support that action so I need to learn the use case :).

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com