> On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 3:39 AM, Nicolai Hess <nicolaih...@web.de> wrote:

>>> Looking into Image locking problems [1] caused by a recursive array such
>>> as this...
>>>
>>>     literalArray := #( 1 2 3 ).
>>>     literalArray at: 3 put: literalArray.
>>>
>>> I find that "literalArray printString" locks the image due to
>>> Array>>printOn: use of the recursive #shouldBePrintedAsLiteral method. Now
>>> its implementation is identical to #isLiteral and indeed "literalArray
>>> isLiteral" also locks the Image. So comparing implementors of #isLiteral...
>>>

>> Squeak uses a Set to store all visited elements for
>> shouldBePrintedAsLiteral and this protects against the recursive loop.
>>
>> shouldBePrintedAsLiteralVisiting: aSet
>>     self class == Array ifFalse:
>>         [^false].
>>     (aSet includes: self) ifTrue:
>>         [^false].
>>     aSet add: self.
>>     ^self allSatisfy: [:each | each shouldBePrintedAsLiteralVisiting:
>> aSet]
>>

>> isn't there a common pattern to handle this kind of potential endless
>> recursion?
>>

> At Cadence we fixed it thus:
>
> Object>>shouldBePrintedAsLiteral
>
> ^self isLiteral
>
> Array>>shouldBePrintedAsLiteral
>
> ^self class == Array
>   and: [self shouldBePrintedAsLiteralVisiting: (IdentitySet new: 8)]
>
> Object>>shouldBePrintedAsLiteralVisiting: aSet
>
> ^self isLiteral
>
>  Array>>shouldBePrintedAsLiteralVisiting: aSet
> self class == Array ifFalse:
> [^false].
> (aSet includes: self) ifTrue:
> [^false].
> aSet add: self.
> ^self allSatisfy: [:each | each shouldBePrintedAsLiteralVisiting: aSet]

Is there something more "generic". Something we can use for any object
tracing.
Isn't there something the GC uses? The GC obviously does not fall into this
loop.
(It flags visited objects, but there is nothing exposed that can be used
at the image level?)
How do ImageSegment or Fuel work with recursive structures?

Nicolai