Linus might not (always) be the nicest person, but he is not a troll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

<quote>
In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on
the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting
inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such
as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of
provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting
normal on-topic discussion.[4]
</quote>

I don't think he goes around upsetting/harassing people just for the hell of it
;-)

After quickly skimming the Ubuntu doc, I must say I like it.