> On 03 Apr 2015, at 19:02, Dmitri Zagidulin <dmi...@zagidulin.net> wrote:
>
> Do you happen to know how it does it? (I wouldn't know where to look, in the
> source code). Does it still work if you move the sources to another
> directory, from your current one? Does Pharo do a whole-disk search every
> time? (Or just when it doesn't find them?)
>
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Max Leske <maxle...@gmail.com
> <mailto:maxle...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> On 03 Apr 2015, at 17:55, Dmitri Zagidulin <dmi...@zagidulin.net
>> <mailto:dmi...@zagidulin.net>> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 11:49 AM, Max Leske <maxle...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:maxle...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> > that you can keep the VM and .sources in different directories? How do you
>> > tell the VM where to locate the sources?
>>
>> You don’t. It’s detected automagically!
>>
>> Wait, how does it know which .sources file to pick? :) What if there are
>> .sources from multiple versions of Pharo, etc, lying around on the hard
>> drive?

No, Pharo won’t search your disk, that would take way too long. Basically, the
image tries to find the sources in two places:
1. the image directory
2. the vm directory

In reality Pharo tries to do a bit more. The places Pharo looks in are listed
in OSPlatform>>potentialLocationsOfSourcesFile (and subclasses).

See also PharoFilesOpener>>openSources.

Note that the Pharo implementation has probably diverged a bit from the one
that Squeak uses / used to use.

Cheers,
Max