Stealing some code from SystemProgressMorph, which can show an update while the
UI thread drives it, the following seems to work (using a Doit that block the
UI thread):

(textModel := TextModel new)
                text: '';
                title: 'Pharo Transcript';
                aboutText: 'An experimental Transcript View';
                isCodeCompletionAllowed: false;
                menuHolder: [  ];
                openWithSpec.

10 timesRepeat: [
  textModel text: (textModel text), 'X'.
  UIManager default currentWorld displayWorld.
  0.1 seconds wait ].

Needless to say, this would be a very inefficient implementation ;-)