On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 3:18 AM, stepharo <steph...@free.fr> wrote:

> Thanks alain for checking.
> I think that we can offer different implementations and let people pick
> the ones they like.
> My goal is to remove direct refer to Transcript from the image so that we
> can plug an implementation and in particular
> the merge of Doru and Norbert/Mine loggers
>
> Stef

I don't quite follow "remove direct refer to Transcript".  Isn't
"Transcript" effectively a global variable that can already be plugged with
any implementation?

As I've been contemplating the Transcript situation, I keep coming back to
the idea that Transcript should be a client of a broader logging framework,
but wondering how much complication that would to tracing VM simulation.

Further, since the logging framework needs to be threadsafe, rather than
using protected access to a shared datastructure, would it be good to have
a separate "logging" process to consume log entry submissions from multiple
threads, and pass them on to output threads (including Transcript viewer).
Some possible advantages:
* Eliminate complications from priority inversion (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priority_inversion)
* Minimise code that log-entry-producer-thread needs to execute/debug into
-- maybe beneficial for VM simulation?
* Minimises execution time in log-entry-producer-thread.

cheers -ben