I'd say that it looks like a "bug ward". But I think the system should not
contain right now classpools with string keys. They should all be symbols.

(Smalltalk allClasses gather: [ :class | class classPool keys ])
select: [ :k | k isSymbol not ]

should be an empty collection.

So you probably can replace those three lines by:

manager := Instance.

?

Guille