If the collection implements = using the objects it holds then you need to
consider at least some of them in the hash calculation. I can't conceive a
hash calculation for this case independent of the contents (well,  just
hardcode a number but this will lead to always collide if used as a key in
a hashed collection).

I'm with Levente here, I think the hash implementation is reasonable. And I
wouldn't use a mutable object as key in a hashed collection.