I think that this is only true for packages committed within the same repo. Now between porjects published in different repo you have to express them. I do not think that we all want to publish in the same repo and clone out everything.
... and inter-project dependencies is what a BaselineOf does .... which brings me back to the conclusion that I reached when I scanned the paper:)
Yes probably but you have to have a BaselineOf for every package. Because we want to have the dependency expressed in every package and not in
a gigantic "project" configuration of.

When a package is released into the market: then it externalise its metadata so that a crawler can automatically build
dependency graph and create specific distribution.
Okay. This is a problem .... but it happens to be a problem that Metacello "can solve/does solve" - so there must be something else (a deeper problem?) that I don't quite understand.
But you have to load the configuration and somehow execute it so that it computes the dependencies and we do not want.

With that said, if you are planning to replace Metacello, then I am excited:) But I will repeat that I hope that you are considering cross platform issues ...
Yes we do. First we wanted to make it work. Then we should have kind of virtual packages that act as platforms or project level

Perhaps at this point in time, I'd like to read some code. Then I can skip reading the paper and get a feel for how hard it will be to port to GemStone:)
I do not know where christophe save his code but it is be public.

Dale