Much truth in what you say. However, what Oracle choose to invest its money, time, personnel resource into Java does affect its present and future. It has a great affect. But it isn't the whole story. Java has enough momentum in what already exists in the language and vm and what has been release under its license, for businesses to keep going for some time with only what currently exists.

The nice part about the Pharo story is this, as Stef says:
Pharo is yours.

What Pharo is and becomes is up to us, the community. Not what any major corporation says it is or is not going to do. Pharo is what we make it to be. Pharo will become what we make it to become.

It is nice to have organizations and corporations as part of the community, such as INRIA, etc. They offer substantial resources and are a blessing. And the nice thing is that Pharo does not need an Oracle size corporation to keep it going and viable. Can Java say that? Time will tell. Could Java have gotten to where it is without it?

As you say, let's keep Pharo going so that it can empower the little guy or smaller business. :)

Shalom.

Jimmie