On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 4:38 AM, Holger Freyther <hol...@freyther.de> wrote:

>> On 11 Dec 2015, at 20:09, Eliot Miranda <eliot.mira...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ben,
>>
>>     great to hear you're working on this!  I'm watching with bated breath!
>> BTW, you might find that Docker is easier and more general; I believe
>> there's no Xen for ARM for example, and ARM is increasingly interesting with
>> up coming extremely cheap 64-bit versions of Pi and PINE.  Good luck!!
>
> @Eliot: There is Xen for ARMv8 (because ARM is interesting for multi-core
> servers)

Indeed, ARM seems a very good fit for the Xen hypervisor.
http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions_whitepaper

Some technical info on ARM virtualization [1]

  8:50 technical info starts   (note, sound broken first 0:30)
 11:55 nice overview of architecture virtualization support
      * RasPi 2 with Cortex-A7 would thus seem support Xen
virtualization (but other revision not)
      * BeagleBoneBlack with Cortex-A8 would seem not to :(    but
maybe the next upgrade, the future comes around fast sometimes...
      * PINE with Cortex-A53 would support Xen virtualization
  14:00 shows privilege model where perhaps something like the car
drive-by-wire system runs in the "Secure world", and entertainment
apps (e.g. Pharo/Squeak) run under the hypervisor. I'm not sure Docker
provides provides this separation.
  24:05 not that I understand a "2MB section" but it seems useful our
VM fits within that
  26:00 Handles 256 running VMs per CPU.
  31:00 Timers

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvh6Mu3j1oY

> @Ben: Awesome. Will be interesting how small one can get it (with still
> functioning TCP/IP)

StackVM = 1.4MB
StackVM.unikernel = 15MB
Pharo.image += 30MB
so without trying gives a system ~45MB + application code

Alternatively pharo-minimal.image = 6.2MB
giving a system ~21MB + application code.

For comparison [2] discusses typically having 1GB docker images, but
they can reasonably trim it to 85MB - but how much functionality do
they lose (e.g. we can retain out GUI debugger).  So even though raw
Go apps get down to 3.5MB, I think the rump kernel puts us in the ball
park.

[2] https://labs.ctl.io/optimizing-docker-images/?hvid=1OW0br

cheers -ben