Check this long thread: *[Pharo-users] Slow compilation on one of my
Windows PCs*

As I said it there, besides the final conclusions, I have found many times
that it could be a problem of an anti-virus program scanning the .changes
file which is changing all the time while loading and so the performance
slowdown.

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com