No, I don't think so, it has a function.

Some people like to configure Pharo images so that they have a running server
inside them. In that case, starting your app is a simple as starting the image,
but you would probably need the --no-quit to prevent it from exiting
immediately.

(I personally don't like and never use that approach, but I know some people
like it).

The confusing aspect is that the same option is used in two places and the
first one annihilates the second. But that is documented:

prometheus:pharo5 sven$ ./pharo Pharo.image --help
Usage: [--no-preferences|--preference-file=<FILE>][<subcommand>] [--help]
[--copyright] [--version] [--list] [ --no-quit ]
        --help       print this help message
        --copyright  print the copyrights
        --version    print the version for the image and the vm
        --list       list a description of all active command line handlers
        --no-quit    keep the image running without activating any other
command line handler
        <subcommand> a valid subcommand in --list

Documentation:
A BasicCommandLineHandler handles default command line arguments and options.

It clearly says "without activating any other command line handler". So using
--no-quit BEFORE the subcommand annihilates the subcommand (AFAIU).