Just so I don’t forget: this test fails (since at least 1.3). I have determined
the correct value (175) independently with the respective tables and by using
uconv.

testConversionToFrom
        self assert: (('äöü' convertToEncoding: 'mac-roman')
convertFromEncoding: 'mac-roman') = 'äöü'.
        self
                assert: ((Character value: 216) asString convertToEncoding:
'mac-roman')
                equals: (Character value: 175) asString

As far as I can tell, this flaw is not exclusive to the mac-roman encoding.
However, latin1 and UTF8 are probably fine.

Max