Sven,

> On Mar 5, 2016, at 1:05 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <s...@stfx.eu> wrote:

>>> Pharo was started because a certain situation existed in the Squeak
>>> community that blocked progress for a group of people that had another
>>> vision. Pharo was started and exists to fulfil that grand vision, a vision
>>> that is clearly rooted in Smalltalk history, but goes beyond that.
>>>
>>> If you want to focus on words, your sentence 'Pharo is Smalltalk' is not so
>>> innocent or politically free, as you know very well, even if it looks like
>>> factually correct (it is BTW).
>>>
>>> We say it differently because of what I just wrote, because we want to be
>>> free of backwards compatibility (if necessary), because we want to have a
>>> larger future than maintaining something old (even though we absolutely
>>> respect and acknowledge it). Yes, it is a bit of a play of words, but not
>>> without reason.
>>>
>>> Here is one writeup that tries to describe the same idea:
>>>
>>> http://www.tudorgirba.com/blog/pharo-is-pharo
>>>
>>> But the best documents are the Pharo vision documents.
>>

>> The counter argument is that there was Smalltalk-71, -72, -76, -78,
>> -80.   Some of these were distinctly different from the last.  So
>> Smalltalk was an *evolving* system.  Why can't it be so again!?  and
>> be Smalltalk-Renew, Smalltalk-Next, Smalltalk-Evolved, Smalltalk-16,
>> Smalltalk-P16 or Smalltalk-P5 "Pharo 5".
>>
>> As long as the emphasis is on Pharo being an *evolution* of Smalltalk
>> (which is not in doubt), I think we cover all bases - stimulating the
>> interest of newcomers and/or detractors of old, as well as Smalltalk
>> stalwarts without being constrained by the past.  As much as we might
>> want to promote Pharo being separate from Smalltalk (which I believe
>> was a reasonable strategy to establish identity at the time of the
>> fork from Squeak), Smalltalk is always going to be there for anyone
>> who scratches beneath the surface and they  end up thinking "Oh its
>> *just* Smalltalk" anyway.  So this remains the "elephant in the room",
>> *subtly* undermining of our marketing.  Its the sort of weakness that
>> can be better to hit head on as "Smalltalk-Evolved" (since "Evolved"
>> is a term with positive connotations in the gaming / sci-fi
>> communities.)
>>
>> cheers -ben
>
> Really, Ben, are you suggesting we stop calling it Pharo ?

That's not at all what I read Ben as suggesting.  See below...

> Come on, let's be serious.
>
> (BTW, this thread started with a discussion about the naming of an external
> library, which is entirely up to the main developers driving that library,
> not us).
>
> What makes Pharo different is this: you (and so many others) came to this
> community as a stranger (for us), started contributing in various ways, we
> saw that you were serious/good and we accepted your work, letting you work on
> very fundamental code that had the potential to break everything. There is
> simply no way that you could have done or be allowed to do that in any other
> Smalltalk, let alone the place where we forked from. It is as simple as that.
> That is why it is called Pharo, why we say Pharo is yours.

Look at your language (with which I am happy).  "There is simply no way that
you could have done or be allowed to do that in any other Smalltalk...".  That
implies Pharo is a Smalltalk but it is its own version.  That's /not/ what
"Smalltalk-inspired" means at all.

When one tries to say Pharo is not a Smalltalk, then I have an issue.  No one
is saying that Pharo is not unique or saying anything pejorative.  All we're
saying is that Pharo is a Smalltalk.