On 5 April 2016 at 16:29, Aliaksei Syrel <alex.sy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now let's take a look at this code:
>
> drawOnSpartaCanvas: aCanvas
>
>> aCanvas
>>   clipPreserveBy: self shape during: [
>>   aCanvas paintGroup: [
>> aCanvas setPaint: self shape fillPaint.
>> aCanvas fillPreserve.
>> aCanvas paintMode source.
>> aCanvas setStrokePaint: self shape strokePaint.
>> aCanvas stroke ] ]
>

> You may be curious why it is so ugly :) Make it work - make it right -
> make it fast. We are on the first etappe, because I invested zero time in
> rendering stuff.
>
> What you see is the minimal amount of cairo primitive calls that are
> needed to render not overlapping fill and stroke. Clipping is needed to
> make sure that stroke does not get rendered outside of a path. Group is
> needed to have transparent target in order to make source paint mode work
> as expected. Compared to image_surface group, it in this case allows to
> preserve clip and current cairo state which is pushed to stack during
> push_group and restored during pop_group_to_source. fillPreserve allows to
> reuse the same path as used for clipping before saving cpu time on loading
> path.
>
> Yes, i understand that. You are forced to do that. And it is ugly not
because of all you listed above, it ugly because you could just use a
cascade:

aCanvas setPaint: self shape fillPaint;
  fillPreserve;
   paintMode source;
   setStrokePaint: self shape strokePaint;
stroke

(something like that)
but yeah.. that can wait .. since it is still work in progress. I agree.

> It is implemented in canvas specific method after dispatch though canvas,
> so we are allowed to use canvas specific api, for example groups.
>
> How to model stroke, fillPreserve and paintModein terms of Athens?

A good question. And i don't have an answer to it , ready for you.
1. Stroke can be expressed as a special kind of paint. And that how its
done in Athens.

2. What fillPreserve is, is can't find it in source code? Some hot-swapping
and preserving context state , i guess.

3. As for paint mode, it is already in Athens, so why you asking? You don't
like how it is done or what?

> [...]
> wrote:
>
>> Hello Igor
>>
>> Thanks for extensive design explanation and effort!
>> Issues you mentioned in previous emails are important and need to be
>> addressed :)
>> fill(), stroke() fillPreserve() strokePreserve() need to disappear in the
>> end. We will come back to them later.
>>
>> Let me tell a few words about Sparta.
>> Sparta implements Athens interface api (excluding some experimental stuff
>> to test possible performance boost in a few places) and does not have task
>> to remove Athens style and abstractions. Ideally Sparta will be AthensCairo
>> for bloc. I'm looking forward for your help :)
>>
>> Here are some aspects in AthensCairo that Sparta tries to address in
>> first place:
>>
>>    - *Clipping in local coordinates*. It is critical in Bloc. You
>>    implemented AthensCairo to have vector based rendering in Morphic and
>> Pharo
>>    in general. Morphic lives in global coordinates, so your choice to clip in
>>    global coordinate is perfect! At the same time global clipping in bloc
>> adds
>>    complexity. Sparta clips always in local coordinates (user space in cairo
>>    terminology).
>>    - *Clip by arbitrary path*. Athens and AthenCairo expect to see
>>    aRectangle as clipping region - your wise choice for morphic. In bloc I
>>    would have clipping by arbitrary path. clipBy:during: gets aPath.
>>    Rectangle/Color is polymorphic with path/paint in Sparta
>>    - *Support of groups*. (maybe user-level aspect? like shadows) Groups
>>    are powerful in cairo (do they exist outside of cairo?) and allow to draw
>>    both transparent fill and stroke without overlapping using only one path.
>>    On class side of BlElement there are examples (exampleCircle) that show
>>    such behavior.
>>    - *Do not maintain and set pathTransformation before each
>>    render-dependent action.* Questionable but what if Canvas will not
>>    maintain current state of pathTransform? Instead all transformations can
>> be
>>    directly applied on cairo_t using native calls. If there is a need to get
>>    actual matrix we can ask cairo directly. From my perspective it simplifies
>>    transformation stuff a little bit.
>>    - *Benefit from cairo_save and cairo_restore.* AthensCairo maintains
>>    state manually by setting transformation matrix and clip. Instead we could
>>    save and restore state without caring about clip/matrix which simplifies
>>    code. Check SpartaCanvas>>#clipBy:during:
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Alex
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 2:12 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Couple more words about that fill() function abstraction.
>>> Now you probably understand why there's no notion of stroke operation in
>>> Athens.
>>> Because instead of introducing it that way, by adding new kind of a
>>> stroke(shape,paint)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.