If you are iterating over a Set with incorrectly placed objects, remove: calls
aren't going to do you much good ;)
Not to mention, even nilling the slot directly, then add:'ing, still means you
have to scan subsequent entries up to the next empty slot for potentially
better placement, if the object ended up being added elsewhere.
(IOW, if you're gonna do it, better iterate in reverse)

Cheers,
Henry