On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 4:11 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <s...@stfx.eu> wrote:

>> On 10 Jun 2016, at 09:47, Guille Polito <guillermopol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I use spotter a lot as well.
>
> Me too !
>
>> It is actually my default entry point to the system. It superseeded the
>> searches in Nautilus, and most of the searches that I used to start in the
>> workspace.
>
> Indeed, same here.
>
>> The things I look most by name are tools (Menu entries), classes and
>> packages.
>>
>> History is of great help and I use it a lot. But it poses a problem
>> sometimes because it alters the order of the results, and you have to wait
>> for the complete search to finish. If you do not do that, it happens what
>> Max explained: you type, hit <down>,<enter> and suddenly the UI refreshed
>> and you finished doing something else.
>>
>> Also, regarding the ordering of results, sometimes It bothers me that they
>> are sorted by category and not by relevance of the item. I'll explain myself
>> with a concrete case:
>>   - open spotter
>>   - type "Process"
>>
>> you get first two #menu items and then the #classes, containing the class
>> Process. I would have expected here to show first the element that matched
>> the most or with more relevance, regardless it's category.
>>
>> Question: Does spotter adapt to it's usage? Besides history, does it learn
>> what are the items with more relevance from previous usages in the same
>> session?
>
> Some simple learning would be super cool.
>
>> Also, from the top of my head there is at least one use case that I cannot
>> yet replace with spotter, and I have to use a normal workspace/playground to
>> do it => browse senders or implementors. While i use senders/implementors
>> search in spotter, sometimes I want to *browse* them to be able to look at
>> them, and interact with the code. However, from spotter I can only observe
>> results but not edit them.
>
> Yes, that is indeed something that I miss as well: browsing them all.

I often worry one day someone will remove the Senders <meta-n> and
Implementors <meta-m> windows since Spotter *mostly* supersedes them,
but actually they fill different needs.  Spotter is transient.  It
opens quickly from anywhere, helps you go to what you want and then it
hides itself away.  But often I have several different Senders /
Implementers windows open for hours at a time, and its nice to flip
back and forth between implementations and make edits there.   For
example, I want to add a halt in every implementer.

In the past  I asked editing capability in the Spotter code window,
but with Spotters transitive nature maybe is not the best place to
make edits.

cheers -ben