On 11/06/2016 10:13 AM, "Esteban Lorenzano" <esteba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > On 11 Jun 2016, at 08:53, Alistair Grant <akgrant0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Esteban,
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 02:52:46PM +0200, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I was doing a pass on the catalog??? I think is very negative that
> >> non-documented projects appear there??? because most people does not know
> >> what does projects are about and newcomers will find weird a project
> >> install tool with lots of projects without any description.
> >> So I was thinking on put an option ???show all??? and hide those projects
> >> by default??? but now I think those projects SHOULD NOT BE VISIBLE AT ALL,
> >>   as a way of:
> >>
> >> - offer better experience to non-power users, and
> >> - encourage people to actually document their projects??? is very annoying
> >> to have so much of them without any documentation.
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> >
> > Rather than hiding projects that people were legitimately allowed to add
> > (at the time), why not modify the catalog to not accept projects
> > that don't have sufficient metadata, including the description?
>
> it is not possible right now, and the hiding would work as the same.

Pity, it would also be nice to ensure that all submissions are marked
with the version they have been tested against.

> people were legitimately allowed is also relative… truth is that most
> undocumented projects comes from MetacelloRepository (the original one) and
> there was no catalog nor metacello toolbox :P
> but most important: most of those projects are unmaintained projects are will
> not load anyway, so they are not just source of noise, they also can make the
> community looks bad, I think.

By "legitimately" I just meant that the system didn't reject them when
they were submitted. I also expect at least some people were unaware
that a description could be added.  I only found our when I switched
to using Versionner.

> > IIRC there was some discussion about hiding or lowering the priority of
> > projects that haven't been modified or confirmed as working in the
> > latest versions of Pharo.  That would still be useful.
>
> well, hiding them would certainly “lower the category”. My first approach
> (toggle hide/show) would work...
>

> > Between the two, that would get rid of undocumented projects.

Thanks!
Alistair