On 06/21/2016 08:13 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

On 21 Jun 2016, at 11:58, Ben Coman <b...@openinworld.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 3:29 PM, Clément Bera <bera.clem...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello John.

I'm just guessing here. Lacking information. It could be:

Guess 3) the UI is known to be much slower in Pharo. Can you try headless or
after ticking "Server mode" In the Pharo settings in System.

Or try something like...
[ Transcript cr; show: (Time millisecondsToRun: [1 to: 100000000 do:
[:i | Object new]] ) ] forkAt: 75.

BTW, this is essentially a garbage collection benchmark: you create 100,000,000
empty objects. It stresses the GC, especially the ephemeral phase of it. Since
the GC is part of the VM, you are testing the VM more than any image code.

That's what I thought too, and that's why I was surprised that there was much difference between Squeak and Pharo for this. Furthermore, when I ran the Pharo image using a Squeak vm, I still saw the difference so I thought it must be some image related thing instead of a vm.

John Brant