Tudor Girba-2 wrote
> Hi,
>
>> On Jun 27, 2016, at 7:55 PM, Eliot Miranda <

> eliot.miranda@

> > wrote:
>>
>> Hi Doru,
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 6:36 AM, Tudor Girba <

> tudor@

> > wrote:
>> Hi Eliot,
>>
>> I agree with most things you say (except the conclusion :)), and I think
>> that we are talking about complementary issues.
>>
>> As I mentioned before, there already is a need to distinguish between a
>> plain selector and one that is associated with pragmas. This is what you
>> find in PragmaType in Spotter and Inspector. This is a kind of
>> meta-object and having it adds value. I can search for pragmas “type” (we
>> can also call it a PragmaSelector), and I can distinguish between all
>> occurrences of a pragma “type” and its utilization in computation. But,
>> the current implementation of PragmaType is a mere pseudo-meta-object,
>> given that it has no casual connection to the runtime.
>>
>> What we know from Smalltalk is that the analysis model does not have to
>> differ from the runtime one. The consequence is that every time we do see
>> a difference, we should investigate because we might uncover a hidden
>> need opportunity.
>>
>> I know the VW model, and indeed, we could have something like:
>>
>> MyConcept class>>myPragmaDefinition
>>         “a comment about the pragma"
>>
> <pragma: #selector>
>>
>> However, this only deals with the definition of the pragma type not with
>> the internal representation. There could still well be an object that
>> encapsulates both the selector and the comment. And that object would
>> also allow us to build tools around it. We could call it a PragmaType,
>> PragmaDefinition, or even PragmaSelector. And we could get the Pragma to
>> point to this type either through an inst var or through a query (I would
>> probably prefer an instvar).
>>
>> Well, there already /is/ a meta-object called Pragma, and it gets
>> instantiated when one accesses the compiled method via pragmas:
>>
>> (CompiledMethod allInstances detect: [:m| m pragmas size > 1]) pragmas
>> collect: [:ea| {ea. ea class}] {{
> <export: true>
>  . Pragma} . {
> <var: #tablePtr type: 'int *'>
>  . Pragma}}
>
> Yes I know :). An instance of Pragma denotes an concrete annotation of a
> method. I now would like a meta-object that describes all Pragma instances
> having the same selector. For example, the protocol on the class side of
> the Pragma class is actually a query protocol that is better suited for
> the instance side of a PragmaDescription meta-object. For example:
>
>       Pragma class>>allNamed: aSymbol in: aClass
>
> would become
>
>       PragmaDescription>>pragmasIn: aClass
>
> and you would use it like:
>
>       (PragmaDescription named: aSymbol) pragmasIn: aClass

I am concerned with this proposal. Effectively, it says only one
person/package can ever define a pragma selector. It would interfere with
two completely independent developers from using <pragma: #foo> for their
own work.

I think it would be better to expand on <pragma:...> to be able to declare
the symbol, the Pragma class, the comment, etc. which would create the meta
instance you desire, but without closing off independent work.

The the expression /PragmaDescription for: #foo/ would answer a collection
of PragmaDescriptions (0 or more). Other methods in the API could be used to
answer the one and only or throw an error if not exactly one, and so on.

[I know of no way that the individual description could find /just/ its
corresponding <foo> uses. Conversely, I know of no way that the compiler
could reliably determine that a method with <foo> was referring to the
pragma from one declaration versus another. But, I think that is less a
problem than forcing a "Highlander" implementation.]