On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 12:54 AM, John Brant <br...@refactoryworkers.com>
wrote:

> > On Aug 14, 2016, at 4:42 PM, Henrik Nergaard <henrik.nerga...@uia.no>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Why  is “[ * ] repeat” almost twice as slow as “[ * . true ] whileTrue” ?
>
> #repeat isn’t optimized by the compiler like #whileTrue is. I don’t know
> if there is a reason for this, but most every other Smalltalk (Squeak, VW,
> & Dolphin) optimize the #repeat method.
>

> On Squeak it's optimized by default too.

I had an intern adding that as a bytecode compiler option and make the
decompiler compliant with this. One needs to check if everything still
works fine but it can be enabled. Something like: <compilerOptions: +
inlineRepeat> should already work.

I think the idea was to keep limited the number of inlined messages, hence
that one is not inlined by default. #timesRepeat: is not inlined either in
Pharo. But then where's the limit between what you inline and what you
don't...