On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 9:44 PM, stepharo <steph...@free.fr> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a file
>
> /Users/ducasse/PharoMooc/Subtitles/W1/C019SD-W1-sous-titres-
> EN/EN_C019SD-W1-S1.srt
>
> and I would like to generate a new one with a different extension
>
> /Users/ducasse/PharoMooc/Subtitles/W1/C019SD-W1-sous-titres-
> EN/EN_C019SD-W1-S1.vtt

Why not just myFile withExtension: 'vtt'

e.g.

f := '/tmp/file.txt' asFileReference.
"File @ /tmp/file.txt"
f withExtension: 'log'
"File @ /tmp/file.log"

> Now I'm browsing FileReference and I do not find an easy way to do it.

It's an AbstractFileReference method.

> /Users/ducasse/PharoMooc/Subtitles/W1/C019SD-W1-sous-titres-EN/

Why not just #parent? Some languages also use #dirname.

> /Users/ducasse/PharoMooc/Subtitles/W1/C019SD-W1-sous-titres-
> EN/EN_C019SD-W1-S1

This one is the one hard to get… but how often do you need it? Is it worth
the extra method in the API?
If just for changing the extension, then there's #withExtension:

> Proposal one:
>
>     We could add withoutExtension
>
>     withoutExtension
>
>            ^  (self parent / self basenameWithoutExtension)

What is the use case for this?

> Proposal two:
>
>     We could add withoutBasename
>
>     withoutBasename
>
>             ^ self parent

I don't see a point of this method, why not just use #parent?

> Proposal three:
>
> Not sure that it is worth
>
> (note that this is not a rename)
>
>     withNewExtension: anExtension
>         ^ self parent / self basenameWithoutExtension withExtension:
> anExtension

Is this somehow different than using #withExtension: directly?

Peter