The -C option changes the Git working directory and it is used in
GitFileTree on general level.

The main question that we need to answer is what version of Git (or libgit)
will be supported and then take decision if we should update slaves or
modify our code.
The main problem are the long-term supported Linux distributions like
Debian or CentOS.

-- Pavel