Hi Doru,

I understand your argument and I have heard it for years as to the reason
not to make a programming language as good as what we have known how to do
since the 1970s.  I really don't have a very big dog in this fight (meaning
that I don't care all that much whether these features end up in
Smalltalk80), and I have felt that way for 20 years. I just wound up on this
thread because I Googled myself in the context of working with another group
on the development of advanced programming tools. I am much more interested
in a programming environment that uses several iPad Pros and something like
a ES2015+ Morphic framework that uses Force Touch plus Image Recognition on
"real world passive objects" as a general approace to the "Use vs. Mention
Problem" in graphical programming. The use versus mention problem is about
not having any kind of a "run mode" vs. "design mode" switch. Having a
finger press with pressure give you a number between: 0 and: 1 beats the
hell out of shift+yellowButton hacks. :-)

It's funny how the transition between programming and meta-programming is
always there.

Were I to do anything in Smalltalk and the Compiler and Parser frameworks
still supported the #compilerClass and #parserClass invocations at the right
place I know what I need to do to give myself a huge leg up in
expressibility and performance.

cheers,
-David Leibs