On 28/02/2017 14:05, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:
The first thing is to be very precise in what you want.

I think this is the most important thing to do first.

I thought you wanted a window manager now you mention a full blow GUI API.

You could also look at Dolphin Smalltalk http://object-arts.com/ which is integrated with Windows GUI - albeit 32 bit only

Frankly if you want to ovehaul Pharo GUI API , personally I think hands
down a Pharo QT project will be far more valuable.

Windows may have an overwhelming market of 90% of OS users but the same
is not true for developers. Developers are far more attracted to other
platforms like MacOS and Linux. MacOS especially has a very loyal and
quite large developer crowd. So a WIN API solution will not be as
attractive as cross platform QT.

QT not only work on Win, Mac and Linux , it also work inside Web pages ,
iOS and Android.  If we take into account that mobile is the most
rapidly growing market you can imagine why QT is so much loved by devs.

There are other cross platform APIs e.g. wxWidgets and Gtk

There used to be a version of squeak with wx bindings wxSqueak but the code seems not to be on line now.

 Pharo had some GTK bindings in Mars https://marsonpharo.wordpress.com/

The last two don't work at all now but might help you by giving ideas.