On 17 April 2017 at 07:50, Alistair Grant <akgrant0...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, 32 bit VM will only work with 32 bit images, and 64 bit VM with 64
> bit images.

I wonder if some DWIM would make sense here. For example, my bash wrapper
that starts the VM could inspect the image file and decide which VM is
appropriate (spur, non-spur, 32-it, 64-bit, etc.) Otherwise the user needs
to guess and decipher cryptic error messages.

Has anybody made such a "DWIM" script that automatically selects the right
VM? Would love a link to use for reference.

Is there any compatibility matrix to help me understand which VMs are
compatible with which images? Now I know that the 64-bit VM can't run
32-bit images but I am wondering whether e.g. the Spur VM can run older
images like Pharo 4 / DrGeo / etc or whether different VMs need to be built
for those too.

As this says, for best operation you should enable higher priority
> threads.  Have you tried creating the file as described?

I will look for a build option to disable this feature that wants to set
realtime priority.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect end-users to edit /etc files in
order to run GUI applications. I also don't like applications blindly
printing instructions that are distro-specific (there is no /etc/security
directory on NixOS for example.) I also :-) don't immediately see why it is
safe to assume that running pharo at realtime scheduler priority is what
the user will want when their system becomes overloaded.

I already know that another problem coming down the pipeline, after making
the VM work, is finding hard-coded paths in popular image files that only
work on some distributions. For example the Moose image makes some unsafe
assumptions about what libcairo will be called,
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/14414

Grumble, grumble, grumble :). But soon all fixed!

If I'm reading the stack correctly, it looks like your HOME environment
> variable isn't set (or the VM isn't able to access it).

Odd. That should not be the case. I will dig deeper.

> > So maybe the problem is that I need a different source file? Or maybe
> that I
> > should switch to a 32-bit VM? Or something else entirely...?
>
> The 32 bit VM is more stable than the 64 bit one at the moment.  If you
> are still getting the build system stabilised, it might be easier to
> stick with 32 bits for now.  Switching to 64 bits later should be
> straightforward (certainly easier than switching from building Pharo 5
> to Pharo 6).

Thanks for the tip!

I will try to build the 32-bit VM now.