Looks like Thierry has a nifty solution for Traits in FileTree that doesn't involve methods ... Bob's already your uncle:)

Dale

On 5/21/17 10:36 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
I'm not familiar with Traits and how they have been integrated into Monticello, but reading comments from the snapshot is pretty wild --- but I I suppose it works:)

For FileTree Traits should be added as first class objects ... I assume that Traits are just regular classes and that the trickery comes with associating a method in a class with a method from a Trait.

In Filetree (Cypress 1.0), the first line of an st file is interpreted as the method protocol and monkeying with the method protocol would be possible but not transparently portable. The "most recent" Cypress format (Cypress 1.5) switched from a single line to a 4 line structured comment[1].

Martin McClure is currently working on Cypress2.0 and I believe that he is proposing that methods also have an attribute dictionary (like classes [2]), so for Cypress 2.0 Traits methods could be first class objects ...

Cypress 2.0 is still a work in process. Cypress 1.0 is widely used, while Cypress 1.5 is not...

Sooo, I would suggest that the Cypress 1.5 format could be modified to accommodate Traits methods ... FileTree already supports 3 or 4 different disk formats, so FileTree could be updated to support Cypress 1.5 format and then Bob's your uncle ...

Dale

[1]https://github.com/CampSmalltalk/Cypress/wiki#method-file-format

[2] https://github.com/CampSmalltalk/Cypress/wiki#class-properties