Ben,

I think there is a deeper need here. Writing good document is hard and keeping it in sync with code is harder still.

A book/booklet separates content from the code and being frozen in time faces obsolescence. I would prefer to see a guidebook framework in Pharo that every package author can use to create a simple narrative on its features. Package authors and consumers have an incentive to keep the code and content in sync. If an Object is a recursion on the notion of a computer, why not provide, say a Note, as a recursive simplification of a book?

The framework could be on the lines of Plugins, Tests. E.g.

   Package-Core
   Package-Plugins
   Package-Tests
   *Package-Guide*

The guide framework should support active code (say to pop the source code for a method), active links to guides on which this package depends, automatic generation of table of contents, index of class references. Most of features already exists in Pharo but spread all over. They need a home.

A package could also extend this basic framework with features (e.g. PDF package could export articles to PDF, Zinc could generate HTML).

Regards .. Subbu