On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 5:31 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <esteba...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> again, ssh-agent is one way to authenticate.
> it can be not the best but it is the only one we could implement with the
> time we get (also, ssh-agent is “common” while others are platform specific
> and then they will work just in the intended platform). With time, we want
> to implement all, but for now is what we have.
>
> One way to solve this *without* using ssh-agent (for example, something we
> recommend now for windows, since ssh-agent has problems for people not used
> to it) is to use “custom keys”, which now in iceberg is done in settings
> (as explained on the FAQ), or running this:
>
> IceCredentialsProvider useCustomSsh: true.
> IceCredentialsProvider sshCredentials
> publicKey: '/Users/esteban/.ssh/id_rsa.pub’;
> privateKey: '/Users/esteban/.ssh/id_rsa’
>
> of course, you need to modify paths to your user :)
> of course (2), you may add that to a startup action, so you do not need to
> execute that each time.

Maybe in some quick-start instructions this should be the default, so
people can prove to themselves
it works, then move on to using ssh-agent which has more modes of failure.
Other apps like PuTTY
do this...
https://developers.openshift.com/images/overview-ssh-putty-configure-4.png

btw, I'm curious why the pub key is required?  Isn't it only needed at the
other (github) end?

cheers -ben