Hi Yiury,

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 5:51 AM, Yuriy Tymchuk <yuriy.tymc...@me.com> wrote:

> Why cannot we have the sources in the image?
>
> When I asked it 2 years ago people were like: "oh, but you can just
> download 1 sources file and use it by all the images". I don’t care about
> that micro space savings, but fine, I said: have it your way. Now as we
> have to download sources all the time, why cannot we just have it IN the
> image?

It's not a "micro saving".  A Pharo6 image is about 48Mb and a Pharo
sources file is about 32Mb.  So you'd increase the size of the image by
75%.  Further, that space has to be dealt with by the GC.  The compactor
may have to move this objects around; so it's certainly overhead.  It might
make sense for development, especially if you use Igor's
include-source-in-the-method-trailer approach.  But it doesn't make sense
for deployment where the application isn't going to look at the sources
anyway.  So why put a heavy burden on deploying applications when the
current system works, and off loads a substantial amount of memory from the
system?

--
best, Eliot