> However the real question is if we need them in the form we had them until
> now because they are flattened as soon as a new changes file (release) is
> created and it stores only information about the last person who touched
> the method, not about the author nor wider history.

For me, YES!
I always take this data as a hint to track down bugs. Especially in this
community were different people do bug fixes or introduce something new
/change something,
it is really helpfull and valueable to track this changes by the method
history. (not only *who* did the change, but also, in what context, what
else had changed.
And I think it is much easier to do this from within the image instead of
looking at the git diff).

That hte history is already lost when we created a new changes/sources for
release is something that always disturbed me. And I hoped there would be
some
way to reload the "real" history with all intermediate changes.