Eliot,

> Am 18.07.2017 um 22:26 schrieb Eliot Miranda <eliot.mira...@gmail.com>:
>
> Norbert,
>
> On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 11:05 AM, Norbert Hartl <norb...@hartl.name
> <mailto:norb...@hartl.name>> wrote:
> Really great! I think we should move the Cryptography package from
> smalltalkhub to github, refactor it and add goodies like this. We need a
> strong crypto foundation.
>
> I agree that refactoring and adding goodies is great.  But why does that
> imply moving to github?  The Cryptography package has Squeak contributors too
> and moving to github implies a fork.

That fork happened already because there is a repository on smalltalkhub [1].
Lately I needed crypto support for a project of mine and I was searching for
the last thing I could use. I was glad I've found the package Esteban did so I
could use it in pharo. But I didn't know it was only the very last version that
worked on pharo. But my Metacello setup somehow decided to load the second
recent package which rendered my image unusable. From then I know that there
are a lot of classes that have been incorporated in pharo which are present in
the Cryptography package. I was asking for someone that maintains it and got no
response.
It is clear to me that there is no easy way to maintain the package for both
squeak and pharo. At least not while having one big package to share. It would
need a bit of engineering. Then I remembered I was asking a similar question
(about splitting the Cryptography package) years ago and I didn't get much
positive resonance. Btw. this was my general feeling with the squeak community
back then and the same reason I was one of the first being on the pharo train
(sapphire back then).
To make a long story short. I really like spending some time for the smalltalk
community. And I'm afraid I could kill my time and my mood while trying to get
an agreement for something both squeak and pharo. So my current strategy is to
care less and look (selfishly) forward. Maybe the better way is that each side
has a look at the repository of the others and merges what is needed.
Why github? Because I want a reliable repository where my business process runs
on. Smalltalkhub is close to its final growth. And my impression is that if we
would put the load from smalltalkhub onto squeaksource the only thing we would
notice is a bright flash and silence after.
Furthermore after all those years it turns out that you have a hard time of you
do version your stuff and you want versioning to work reliable. What really
works for me is having a github repo, a BaselineOf my project and tags on
commits. Anything else just does not work and/or is not reproducible.

Norbert

[1] http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Cryptography/Cryptography